Thursday, March 14, 2013

Coconut Cupcakes



I'm not really a huge coconut fan.  Something about shredded coconut gives me the feeling that I'm eating little white blades of grass.  I am, however, a huge fan of these coconut cupcakes.  My grandmother made these about three years ago.  She is always trying new recipes for me to try.  I took one bite of the fluffy white cake and fell in love.  I also fell in love with these cute hot air balloon cupcake wrappers.  I bought them almost two years ago and this is my first time using them.  I'm a hoarder.

Coconut Cupcakes 

2 2/3 sticks butter, room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. each vanilla and almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. each baking soda, baking powder, and salt
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cup flaked coconut
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
2 3/4 cups powder sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In large bowl, cream together 2 sticks of the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs on at a time, beating well after each.  Mix in 1 1/2 tsp. each of vanilla and almond extract.

In another large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.  Add to butter and sugar mixture in 3 batches, alternating with coconut milk.  Stir 1 cup of shredded coconut into the batter.
Fill 30 paper-lined muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter.  Bake 15-20 minutes.  Cool completely.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, remaining butter, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar.  Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with remaining coconut.  You may choose to toast the coconut for topping.  Enjoy!




Feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...